Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The Swallows

With the abundance of rain, overabundance for many in the area, plant life is lush, green, and on overdrive.

Once again, it is past time to climb on el Toro and go at the lawn.  Tuesday afternoon, and mowing should have happened the preceding Saturday.  But for weekend guests and rain, it would have.  

I removed the bagger - not even gonna try this time - and did a slow trim along the fence that borders two sides of the property.  Daddy always said that good fences make good neighbors, so this one stays, even though there are no four footed specimens to corral anymore.  Not that I mind, especially now that my weed whacker and I have such fun trimming along it.

Then, slow passes back and forth, from the bottom of the property up toward the house.  The clouds thickened.  Wet grass splattered across the lawn in waves.  Breezes increased.  





And across the tops of tasseled corn, from every direction...barn swallows.

I had noticed a few the last time I mowed.  Seen them gathering along the power lines, especially in evening hours.  Now they came, gracefully swooping and diving around me.  Sometimes so close as to collide with the mower...almost, but never quite.

Rain drops began striking my face.  Again.  I had so hoped to get this done before another drenching!  But still the swallows swirled, silently.  Beaks open, but no sound.  So beautiful they were, with perfect timing.




Hmmm...I did know how to upload videos....some
thing else to learn....again...

Braking, I idled the mower, and began filming.  But as I did so, many swallows disappeared away over the waves of corn.  A few remained.  The roar of el Toro was all that could be heard.

Rain increased its tempo, beating a steady rhythm of wetness.  Closing the camera, I released the brake and el Toro started forward once again.  Immediately, the swallows returned, looping and swooping, impervious to the rain.

Then the answer came.  They associated the sound of the mower with the cloud of insects rising up in search of safety ahead of the blades.  And so they came with radar fine-tuned by the Creator, without fear, swooping down, silently devouring the feast set before them.

I love learning  new things.  Even things that have been obvious for a very long time, waiting for me to notice. 

Shutting off the blade, shifting to high gear, and trundling off the the garage,  I called apologies to the swallows.  We'd be back tomorrow, el Toro and I.  And to the insect population, a reprieve.  For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment