Friday, August 24, 2018

Looking Back, August 2014

A peek into the journal from August, 2014.  Back when I worked at home for the sister-in-law, advertising on ebay.  When all the children were at home.  One had yet to graduate, but all had steady jobs.  Now the house is empty, and I do corn alone.  Not that mama and sister are not available, but my heart needs to process grief alone most days.....


Some things happening here recently….

Three weeks of iffy internet service because of a modem which fails to consistently recognize requests for internet access by the various devices in the house. If I was paid minimum wage for every hour I spent on the phone with the company and troubleshooting (and wishing I could shoot it) it would almost pay the week’s groceries!

Sitting at Trailside on a hot humid day taking advantage of their free wifi and feeling quite out of place, uploading info to eBay as fast as I can while trucks and their drivers come and go around me, so I can get home, cool off, and catch up on work there. This is what working from home looks like???

Processing 225 ears of corn with son (part time) and daughter (part time), from 8AM to 8PM (including doing cleanup solo). Processing 225 ears of corn a week later with daughter, husband, mom, dad, grammy, sister, brother-in-law, and assorted children and finishing by noon. Many hands make light work, if you have elbow room in which to work! Until the bag in the middle of the stack breaks in your sister’s freezer and the corn juice leaks to the bottom and freezes everything in one solid lump and you have to chip it all out and defrost the freezer to clean it, wipe everything down and begin again…and everyone else has already gone home and the children are waaay overdue for naps….aargghhh

The joy of having hubby at home for a week to do all those things I can do but don’t have time to do (mow the yard, listen to his wife, take daughter‘s truck for new tires, listen to his wife, take daughter’s car for repair, listen to his wife, get groceries, listen to his wife, pick up 5 baskets peaches, husk corn, listen to his wife, and rescue daughter below, and does his wife now have him caught up on all the issues that need decisions?), and the undercurrent of concern that he doesn’t have work this week.

Being grateful that God provided a good load for next week, being frustrated that good week’s work runs into (and over) our planned weekend away (one of just two each year!).

An SOS call from son on behalf of daughter (who forgot her phone) whose exhaust fell off her car on the way to Bible Study. Hubby to the rescue with a handful of zip ties to temporarily remedy the problem. So glad he was home! Sometimes rust isn’t cool.

Opening the door in the early AM so the cats can come in for breakfast (feeding them outside brings too many extraneous critters, tame and otherwise, to our door) and nearly stepping on the live bat one brought as a hostess gift. A wakeup call I didn’t particularly need…

Forgetting to send son’s transcript to LBC and therefore missing the deadline and costing him a chance at JumpStart this fall. Thankfully he is forgiving, and anyway his schedule is already whimpering from overload (or is it his mother??).

Straining my brain to think of ways to make practicing letters and numbers appealing to a normal, active five-year-old nephew. Since when does a child have to know and write his letters and numbers before entering kindergarten?? A son said, “I never went to kindergarten and I did OK.” His father replied, “You were in kindergarten for years and didn’t know it! You didn’t go to school, you lived it.” Being so grateful for the privilege of home schooling!

Putting away the breakfast dishes so I can wash the lunch dishes so I can clear the table of supper dishes, so I can set out breakfast. Ever have days like that?

Having a child ask, “What are you doing today?” and thinking, I’ve got to get dressed, do the dishes, start the day’s laundry, clean up the bedroom, check email, water the porch plants, sweep the floor, and by that time it will be time to start lunch, IF there are no interruptions! But thanks for being interested in my day!

Pondering a dear sister-in-Christ’s comment in a conversation about the common mindset today to “Just take out of your life things that don’t make you happy” including even your marriage partner. She said, “I made a commitment.” So simple. So profound. So encouraging!

That said, some days I am just plain angry at how cheaply this world holds marriage and the commitment it requires. I and the Man I belong to worked hard for what we have! And are still working. Where do they get off thinking they can casually trash it? Anyway, what is the point of marriage, or even any kind of friendship with another person if I can be put aside at any time for ceasing to make that person happy? Is it all about them? Or me? What kind of security is that, knowing whenever “happy” changes or ends (and it will), I can be pushed aside for the next model?

Ok, ‘nuff ranting. Murphy’s law says the phone tech guy will show up right about now because I’m not out of my sweats yet. Of course, if I was perfectly put together and prepared for the day (ha - when do either of them happen??) then he won’t show til Monday!



No comments:

Post a Comment