Sunday, August 12, 2018

The Eye of the Storm

Today, again, it is time to mow and trim the lawn.  Never mind I did this chore only two days ago.  Abundant rain, blazing sun, and steaming humidity has put the greenery on overdrive.

As el Toro and I, coordinating our efforts at least for the moment, charge up and down the acreage, clouds thicken around me.  Thunder rolls continuously, from one direction and then another.


The sun disappears.  Black clouds hang over the hills, boiling and turning within themselves.  Gray-blue sheets of rain hang from the clouds.  Puffs of air become strong breezes, bringing coolness across the valley and evaporating sweat.


The sheets of rain withdraw, the churning mass of clouds blow eastward.  


Then the sky darkens in the southwest.  A ceiling of gray descends over the fields, swiftly turning to black.  Temperatures drop further.  I welcome the brisk coolness, even as I urge el Toro to a higher gear.

But never in all those hours, did the storm come directly overhead, and drop its load of moisture on me.  Always the winds swirled above and around, but my task was completed without the interruption of rain.  Yet the happy change in temperature and humidity was mine to enjoy.  

I pondered the correlation between the physical world in view, and the unseen spiritual world.  How often did I tell my children, "What you do affects not only you, but everyone around you as well?"  We think what we do will not matter, we can do as we please.  (We have out rights, after all!  Hmmm...)  But even though the storm did not break over my head, the winds still blew over me.

While the winds of today were pleasant, not all winds are.  And I will feel those as well.  And while I was protected from the physical storm today, the spiritual storm rages on.  But I know to Whom I can flee for shelter when a respite is needed.

Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with His pinions,
And under His wings you may seek refuge;
His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.

This verse does not promise absence of storm, but a shelter when it happens.



No comments:

Post a Comment