Monday, December 18, 2017

A Dream in the Night


A Dream in the Night

December 18, 2017
Shipshewana, IN

I dreamed I was climbing a mountain. The path was cleared and marked. Others were climbing with me. The last stretch to the summit was very steep, nearly straight up. There were steps cut into the mountain, and a handrail. Anyone who let go of the handrail would tip over backward, down the mountain. There was a man climbing beside me, in obviously good physical condition, a seasoned climber. The man ahead of me let go, fell back, and was caught by the man beside me.

Suddenly the handrail ended. I stopped, desperately clinging to the smooth rock, not knowing what to do. Finally, I said out loud,

“What shall I do?”

A voice replied,

“Stand up.”

I stood, and realized the railing and steps had taken me over the top, and I had been lying facedown on the ground. The voice I heard came from a woman, sitting on a rock nearby. The man who had climbed beside me was there, but I did not see the man who had fallen and been caught.

I woke, completely exhausted, as if I had made the climb in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment